The Sewing Expo Vogue/Butterick Fashion Show is a family and friends tradition. Katherine and I put together a collection of garments, some made by us, some made by friends. Here are a few garments from this year's show. Not all the fabrics shown are still available, but do check the website for current and new offerings.
Beautiful inside and out, this is one of those garments we all hope for. Ruth blended knits with wovens in a witty masterpiece of combining fabrics and impeccable construction.
The neckband is cut and sewn in a double layer so everything is stable, and the open edge makes a sweet design statement.
The Cozy Coat in a double weave/double layer sweater knit uses both sides of the fabric and combines both raw and finished edges. The double tunics shown above layer with the coat, and Gwen made gray ponte pants (not shown), to complete the look.
Mary is a highly skilled (now mostly retired) dressmaker/designer who has made hundreds of bridal gowns and bridesmaid dresses. We asked her to whip up a few garments for the fashion show. Afterwards she laughed and said it was easier for her to handle 20 yards of fabric for a gown than to work with a few yards of fabric and to follow the pattern directions! The fabric is a digital linen print, and the weight and drape are just right for the style. We all want one of these for summer!
A white narrow pant would be a perfect choice with this top, but we also like the look of a dusty blue denim-esque light-weight stretch woven cotton.
Gwen used a French matalasse blend, cutting the pieces to work with the hand dyed effects on the fabric, and then kicked it back by binding the neck edge with a silvery herringbone ponte and eliminating the gathered/bound sleeve detail shown on the pattern. In the fashion show we paired this with narrow ponte pants, but it is also a natural over skinny jeans.
The center front seam is stitched after the neck edge is finished which assures a clean V.
This is so comfortable and cozy! I used a bamboo fleece with lengthwise stretch, and should have followed my own advice to cut it on the cross grain, but didn't, so the tunic stretched a bit in length...and I like it. Diane Ericson came for a visit while I was working on it, and I was not happy with my neckband. She suggested the neck finish so I tore off the 1st one and replaced it with the current version. I cut and sewed the original sleeve. They were too short and full in this fabric so I cut another set of sleeves and faced the hem with a lighter weight knit.
The 'cirque' dress, lengthened 7" and made in a size large for the fashion show. Lengthening is easy, just add to the hem pieces and follow the original shaping. Shown here in linen. Mary made and sewed the collar as shown on the pattern, but the back side of the fabric is paler in color and she was not happy with that, so took it off and replaced it with a double layer collar as shown.
I used a substantial rayon/lycra knit and lengthened the dress 7". Design details emerged as I sewed. I used a slightly lighter weight black/gray stripe for the hole insert and that lead to cutting one sleeve from the same fabric. I had the collar all sewn in a single layer of the gray knit, but it was a bit flat, so tore off that collar and re-did it as standard collar using the stripe knit on the back side. I also used the stripe knit for the faced hem.
Katherine raided her stash and our ArtBarn scrap basket to blend three different Japanese cottons in her newest shirt pattern.
Drag and drop the handout images to your desktop if you want to print it out.